Friday, September 21, 2012

5 Consequences of not exercising regularly
Hello bloggers! Today we have decided to talk about a topic that everyone is familiar with, Exercise! Yes, we have all been beaten on the head time and time again with facts and statistics about why it’s important to exercise. However, for most of us this goes in one ear and out the other. After doing a little research, I came to the conclusion that I definitely had to change my living habits, not because I’m an aspiring super model, but because apparently being a couch potato can really affect your quality of life. So today I will share with you the top five reasons why you should role off your couch and take a nice long walk. 

Reason number 1: Regular physical activity wards off a number of chronic conditions including: type II diabetes, heart disease, sleep apnea, asthma and certain type of cancers. I don’t know about you, but if all I have to do is take the stairs instead of the elevator or drink water instead of juice to avoid one of these diseases, I’m doing it! I would suggest you do the same.

Reason number 2: Exercise releases endorphins, which are chemicals that enhance your mood. Regular physical activity relieves depression and anxiety while enhancing your ability to concentrate and focus. This is something that I have some personal experience with. Sometimes when I’m feeling down or I notice that I’m a little moody, I take a nice long walk. There’s, something about the sun shining in your face and the wind blowing in your hair that makes this experience almost magical.

Reasons number three and four go hand in hand: self-esteem and body image. People come in all shapes and sizes, which is what makes us so unique. However, when you don’t exercise you may not be as fit as you would like to be. This often causes you to look down on yourself, which in turn will make you have a negative self-image. Positive self-image plays an important role in overall happiness and quality of life.

Furthermore, exercise helps enhance energy levels and decrease feelings of fatigue throughout the day. If none of this has gotten your attention yet that’s ok. Because, I know that reason number five is something that everyone is affected by. You don’t have to be fit if you don’t want to be, but the question is how much do you value your life?

The fifth reason why you should exercise regularly is because “Inactivity is a major contributor to premature mortality related to physical, psychological and socioeconomic causes”. Inactivity among individuals who have multiple chronic conditions is associated with twice the risk of death as compared with individuals who exercise a minimum of 30 minutes a day” (Lynn McAlpine, Mayo Clinic).

I hope this motivates you to move a little more each day. You don’t have to join a gym or start rock climbing. Just make smarter choices about what you eat and make sure to include some physical activity in your schedule every day.

Always remember that First Care of New York provides the proper care for our clients affected by an array of medical issues by utilizing our Certified Home Health Aides or Personal Care Aides to help our clients with their activities of daily living such as: visiting their doctors regularly, assisting with medication reminders and also preparing meals with the dietary necessity to help maintain a healthy diet. If you or a loved one can no longer manage on your own or are having health issues due to medical conditions, do not hesitate to visit us on the web at www.1st-care.org or give us a call to find out how we may be able to help. Our number is 718-741-5956.

No comments:

Post a Comment